Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Review: Cafe Revival, by Amanda Artemis

This week, I'm reviewing Cafe (no, I'm not doing the accent thing) Revival, by Amanda Artemis. This was written by a caller to Dan Savage's podcast, which I mentioned in a recent blogpost. I wasn't really sure what to expect -- Amanda didn't talk too much about her story specifically -- so even though I specifically sought out this story, I was flying blind.

The titular Cafe Revival is only really a tangential part of the story. It's the setting for our protagonist, Cora, to get an out-of-the-blue text from her boyfriend telling her that her relationship is over. There's a lot of emotional fallout over this, of course. Cora's new freedom leads her to experiment with her roommates and have a rebound with the barrista.

And that's ... sort of it. It's pretty short and simple, though that's not necessarily bad. The sex here is pretty quick and to the point. The roommate scenario is the longest sex scene we get, and that's only a page or two. The writing is very well done, though, and not in a "good for erotica," "all the words were spelled correctly!" sort of way. If you're looking for an introspective, literary story with an erotic charge, I recommend Cafe Revival, and you should definitely follow Ms. Artemis, as I think she's got a lot of potential. If you're looking for something more ... erm ... utilitarian to get off to, you will probably want to look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment